Goooood MORNING Bloglettes!!!

I am checking in bright and early this morning because I actually got up really early today! Like 5 AM! That’s super early for me because even though I usually wake up at that time, I always end up going back to bed. But this morning, I opened my eyes, hopped out of bed and did some yoga/stretching for an hour before headin’ downstairs for breakfast!

It felt so nice being up in a quiet house before everyone else was awake. Maybe this will become my new routine?

Let me recap Saturday for you all~

Started off with a lovely breakfast:

Early Riser

{eggs on toast ,yogurt with pumpkin and walnuts, almond milk with blueberries, frozen grapes, and raisins+LOTS O CINNAMON}

Then the ‘rents and I had to take a drive over to Canada for my costume fitting. I was cast in a short film being shot in the fall so this was my first fitting for it! I will share more details once it gets closer.

The wait at the border coming back was super long!!! Tons of Canadians were coming over to hit up some sales at the mall. So while we were waiting I snapped some pics of the scenery:

{giant Hershey bar on the Canadian side of the falls}

{horseshoe falls}

{downtown Niagara Falls}

Early Riser

When I go home I got the itch to get cooking! I haven’t made anything that requires actual cooking in awhile. So with the afternoon open I knew yesterday was the day! I pulled out my newest cookbooks for some inspiration (+tabbed ALL the recipes I want to make from them!!! Early Riser) and got to work!

Early Riser

I pulled out an old favorite…..my Corn Muffin recipe! Yum! I had a really big craving for corn bread!

Early Riser

What a coincidence because today my family and I are going to a 200 year old corn festival! I’m gonna have corn growing out of my ears before the day ends….pun intended Early Riser

And for dinner I wanted to make something inspired by all the indian lentil dishes in Happy Herbivores cook book:

Quick Tomato Lentils for One

Serves 1 duh!

1/4 cup lentils

2/3 cup frozen peas, defrosted

1/4 cup onion

1 tsp oil of choice

1 tomato, chopped

1/3 cup salsa

2 tbsp tomato paste

1/4 cup chopped basil

1 handful baby kale (mine was fresh from my GARDEN!!!!)

1 tbsp nutritional yeast

Cook lentils according to package (I leave mine a little crunchy…you know me and my crunch!). While lentils are cooking sauté onions, basil, and peas in oil. Once lentils are cooked, combined sautéed veggies, salsa, tomato paste, and chopped tomato. Serve room temperature (hot or cold would work too!!!). Top with nutritional yeast.

This was delicious! I want to make more like ASAP! Oh wait its only 9 in the morning…..oops. I served it with some roasted squash on the side.

The kabocha is no where to be found in my health food store anymore….so I am back to roasting butternut Early Riser It’s good but not as delicious as my beloved kabocha….nothing can beat it!!!

Other eats from the day~

Early Riser

{turkey, apple, feta panini+carrots with SSB+apple+garden fresh green beans}

Early Riser

{cottage cheese, yogurt, amazing grass, kamut puffs, and buckwheat}

{rice cakes with SSB and carrots + a juicy orange!}

Off to pick, eat, and walk through some corn!!!

****************

Are you a night owl, early riser, or both?

I always wake up really early but end up going back to sleep for a bit. As for night time it depends….sometimes I can stay up late and sometimes I’m a granny and fall asleep as soon as I sit down!

What’s one of your go to recipes? Feel free to leave a link!!!

Happy Sunday!!!!

Kaila

Subscribe on the side. Follow me on Twitter. Ask me on Formspring.

Comments

1. says

Usually during the school year I am an early bird (unlike this summer which I have been an official night owl — hello 1-2 o’clock am). I really need to get back on my 5 am sceduale.

I’m so sorry you couldn’t find your kobocha!!!! :( That isn’t fair that your grocery store didn’t have it. Didn’t they know it is a necessity for life?!

You have a garden with KALE?! I am so jealous.

One of my go-to recipes is my Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Butter on top of my Banana Nut Bread. :)

2. Lilly says

hold out just a bit longer, kabochas love the fall and winter and taste even better then :) Sleeping past 8 is sleeping in for me, I feel like if I slept later then I would waste such good parts of the day. I have become more of a granny and like to go to bed early-ish and get up when it’s still quite, ahh so peaceful!

3. says

It’s so cool that your going to be in a movie! Niagara falls is really cool too – I’ve only been once, a really long time ago, but I remember it was tons of fun!

I need to use up tons of lentils that I have. That looks like a delicious way to use then – I have no idea how to prepare them!

4. says

I looooove waking up early. I used to be a total night owl, but when I cleaned up my diet, my body seemed to change its sleep schedule too and I became more of a morning person. I usually get up around 5-5:30, and it’s so nice having the house to myself. But then I end up passing out around 10 lol. Ahh well.

5. says

Mmm I’ll have to hunt down the actual recipe, but my mom makes the BEST banana bread ever. She’s made it since I was little, and I’ve still never head a better slice of banana-y goodness. Actually, I think I may whip up a batch today, in which case I’ll try to shoot you the recipe later!

6. says

I don’t really have any go-to recipes since I don’t do much cooking these days, just eating fruit as is as a mono-meal and then salads when I feel I need/want them, but I almost always make a salad dressing out of Artisana tahini, lemon juice (or ACV if I don’t have it), tamari (or salt or umeboshi plum vinegar), pepper, TONS of freshly minced garlic and some rosemary. Then I just thin it out a little bit with some water and pour it over massaged kale and carrots. SOOOO good.
    I’m kind of both a night owl and an early riser. It just depends on what time I go to bed. If I go to bed early, I’ll wake up early. If not, then I’ll sleep in big time.

7. says

I’m a little of both i’d say. I don’t like going to bed extremely late or waking up extremely early. It’s all about hitting the sweet inbetween spot!

your food has been looking soooo gooood lately. How are you feeling since you decided to up your cals?

8. says

I have really been in the mood for lentils lately. Hopefully I’ll get some soon. One of my fav recipes is a lentil loaf recipe. It’s sooooo good. I wish I could find it – it’s been hiding from me lately.

9. Claire says

do you snack a lot, or more then the food you show? Your eats look really yummy but not like they would help in the gaining process, heck I eat way more than that and am not gaining. Sorry if you already this this or not, I was just curious :) you must need tons more food than what is shown, so what are your fave go to snacks?

• says

Thanks for commenting! I’ve addressed this before but if you’re a new reader you might now have seen it….I never show all of my eats on the blog because I simply don’t have the time or desire to photograph all that I eat. These are just bits and pieces of my daily eats. And besides we are all different for what we need to gain, lose, or maintain, so sometimes its not to helpful to compare ourselves to others in that way.

10. says

new commenter here (at least I think…can’t remember if I’ve commented before or not haha). in anyyy event, your lentils look great! my sleep schedule is so weird…when I’m in major-run mode, I tend to be an early riser, but I’m kind of just getting back into the swing of things after a 3 month stint with awful IT Band issues, and now I am SUCH a stereoytypical late-riser college student. So I guess both, just depending on what else is going on in my life!

11. says

Oooh la la! Short film? Sounds exciting! :D
    Love all your eats btw; the panini with the apples and turkey sounds SO good! Make me some of that? :)

And I’m an early riser…but I guess that’s a bit relative. Early for me is anything between 8 and 9 in the AM :)