These delectable Chunky Monkey Cookie Dough Bites are everything you could want in a healthy treat! Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, and FULL of chocolate goodness. They also are refined sugar-free and perfect for snacking on the go!
Oh it’s about to get real yummy up in here, folks. You know my disdain for the words foodporn, foodgasm, and the like….but if I were ever to use those words, NOW would be the time.
The recipe I am sharing today was originally made for a Recipe Redux post about 2 years ago! Can you believe I’ve been participating that long? Well, that particular month’s theme I remember as being one of my favorites. Here’s a little refresher on what it was in case you’re curious…
Bars & Bites for Brown Bags
Whether you pack your lunch in a bento box, a brown bag or a retro cartoon character lunch box, don’t forget the bars and bites. Small squares or round bites can pack nutrition into a sweet or savory taste. Show us your favorite way to jazz up any type of lunch box.
At first I was thinking I’d go for the typical no bake raw energy bite or some sort of protein based bar. But for me, that felt like the easy way out! I wanted to do something I wasn’t already familiar with and break out of my baking comfort zone. So I came up with the following…
Now I know what you’re thinking, Chunk Monkey Cookie Dough Bites? What’s so adventurous about that? Well let me explain. I gave myself the challenge of making these VEGAN, NUT-FREE, and REFINED SUGAR FREE! I was a little nervous about how they’d turn out, but they came out better than expected.
Plus, YOU CAN EAT THE DOUGH. So that’s a win right there. Aside from that, these bites are doughy, sweet n’ salty, fully of melty chocolate goodness, and pretty darn good for ya too.
Healthy fats from the seed butter, whole grains from the oat flour, and lots of delicious points from the extra dark chocolate!
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut based buttery spread (could swap for other vegan buttery spread)
- 4 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (about 90 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla (or ½ tsp vanilla bean powder)
- 1½ tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ of a dark chocolate bar, chopped ( or 28 grams Lily's stevia sweetened chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350. In a microwave safe bowl, heat sunflower seed butter for 30 seconds to soften it. In same bowl, mash banana, add vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut spread. Mix until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (except chocolate). Fold wet into dry ingredients and mix until mostly combined. Mix in chocolate and make sure it is equally distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into 15 equally sized balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and dig in!
Now how about a close up on the goods…I’ll admit I got a little snap happy photographing these guys!
These are seriously perfect for a pre-workout snack, a fun addition to breakfast, or a sweet end to lunch! They have a great mix of carbs, fat, and protein and are made with all real, whole food ingredients. What’s not to love?! Plus, they are the perfect two bite size for popping on the go! Let me tell you, once you pop ’em you just can’t stop! Perfect for a sweet Valentine’s Day treat, too.
Are you a cookie dough fan or do you prefer your cookies baked?
What’s your favorite type of cookie?
What’s your favorite bite-sized treat?
Linking up with: Allergy Free Wednesdays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood,Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays,Tasty Tuesdays,Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays,Full Plate Thursday, JillConyers,Meatless Mondays!