Perfect for starting your day with a or snacking on-the-go these nutty, chocolate-filled bars are light, fluffy, and delicious! Vegan, gluten-free, and super simple to make too. You’ll love the wholesome ingredients and natural sweeteners used.
Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this yummy post!
This post is a very special one, friends. It features the FIRST recipe I created in my new apartment!!!
A pretty memorable experience for me and not without a fun (or rather unfortunate story to tell). This recipe, although I was pretty sure the recipe itself would turn out fantastic thanks to the quality Bob’s Red Mill ingredients I used to make it, was full of mishaps. First, I am STILL getting used to my new kitchen. It’s so much smaller than what I am used to and because of that I have to store things in all sorts of random places. One of the places I am using for storage is the oven itself! I am keeping my baking pans and other baking sheets in there just so they are out-of-the-way until needed.
A good idea in theory, but not when you forget that they’re in there and you go to preheat the oven. My oven is a gas-powered and let’s just say when you leave well-used pans (read: burnt) in an oven to heat up, they begin to smoke. Then when you open the oven that smoke proceeds to billow out and set off the loud-ass fire alarms in your apartment. Needless to say, I think I am the new favorite tenant in the building. 😉
What a way to christen the new place, huh? Well, despite the troubled start I WAS able to successfully bake this recipe after removing all the miscellaneous stuff from the oven.
Everything else about this recipe worked perfectly thanks to using my go-to baking ingredients. I ALWAYS ‘bake with Bob‘ and since I received a special package of some of their products in the mail (my FIRST package at the new apartment!!!) I was inspired to dive into a new baking experiment. In addition to some of my staples, I was sent their amazing White Quinoa and Tri-Colored Quinoa. Both are faves of mine for their whole-grain superfood nutrition and high protein content. Did you know quinoa is a complete protein? It’s also naturally gluten-free and cooks in less than 15 minutes. Which is great because my recipe for Coconut Chocolate Chip Quinoa Bars uses cooked quinoa.
That’s right, today we’re making Coconut Chocolate Chip Quinoa Bars! I sort of felt like calling them breakfast bars since they’d be so great for starting your day with. But really, any time of the day is appropriate for these soft baked, chocolate-coconut treats! HEALTHY treats to be exact. They happen to vegan gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. Gotta love clean baking!
- 1¼ cup oats, dry
- 1 cup cooked Bob’s Red Mill White Quinoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free egg replacer
- 4 tablespoon water
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup nut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill coconut flakes
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill dried black currants
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, except currants, chocolate chips, and coconut.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg replacer and water. Let stand for 5 minutes until the mixture begins to gel. Mix in apple sauce, nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredient over dry and stir together until fully combined. Fold in coconut, currants, and chocolate chips.
- Transfer mixture to the baking pan and smooth the top with the back of a spoon or a frosting knife.
- Bake on the center rack for 30 minutes until mixture has started to brown on top.
- Remove and let cool completely in the pan. Once cooled, transfer to a cutting board and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 - 4 days.
So there ya have it, friends! My first recipe in my new place. Ahhhh it feels good to have one under my belt. 🙂 Now if only I could figure out this photography situation! The lighting here….stinks. But I’ll get used to all aspects of this transition eventually. And until then we bake bars! Healthy, easy-to-bake ones made with only the best of the best of Bob’s ingredients. If you want to find some of their products near you, check out their store locator here. There’s an awesome coupon too!
Do you remember the first thing you ever made in your kitchen when you moved in?
Have you ever set off the fire alarm in your apartment building/house?
What’s your favorite ingredient to bake/cook with? I am LOVING quinoa lately.Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!
Linking up with: Allergy Free Wednesdays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood,Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays,Tasty Tuesdays,Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays,Full Plate Thursday, JillConyers,Meatless Mondays!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill.