Soft n’ chewy gingerbread cookies with a subtle taste of coconut deliciousness! Sweetly spiced and perfect for the holiday baking season. Vegan, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened.
Another day, another magical food holiday! It seems like this month is just chockfull of the best ones! I almost feel like I should do a whole recap post at the end of this month just to highlight all the amazing food holidays we’ve hit these past few weeks. Everything from numerous peanut butter celebrations to the ultimate CARB-day and so many more!
Last week, I brought you my first official cookie of the holiday baking season and this week I am following that up with another good one since it’s National Gingerbread Cookie Day!
Who doesn’t love a good gingerbread cookie around the holidays? My family never constructed gingerbread houses when I was little, but we ALWAYS made sure to make gingerbread men (and women!) at least once during the season. It was always so fun to decorate them as a kid. The funny thing is, I don’t really remember even liking gingerbread when I was young. I think the fun shapes and the chance to get creative with decorating is what attracted me to making them each year!
But now that my palate has matured, I can appreciate the bold combination of sweetness and spiciness in a ginger cookie. Cinnamon brings the sweet, while ginger brings the heat. Cookie perfection, in my opinion. 🙂 Plus, these are made with my GO-TO Bob’s Red Mill baking ingredients…so you KNOW they’re going to be amazing!
Today, for National Gingerbread Cookie Day, I am sharing a unique spin on traditional gingerbread cookies. I like to think of these as the ‘lazy baker’s’ gingerbread cookies…no rolling of the dough or cutouts required! Simple drop cookies with all the gingerbread flavor you know and love…pluuuuuus a hint of coconut too!
- 3 tbsp vegan buttery spread
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chopped mixed nuts
- maple sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375. In a mixing bowl combine wet ingredients and mix together using a hand mixer. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients except sugar. Fold dry ingredients (including nuts) into wet ingredients and mix until dough forms. Using a tablespoon, create rounded balls of dough (a rounded tablespoon worth of dough), and lightly press the dough balls onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle cookies with maple sugar and bake for 15 minutes. Repeat process until all dough is used up. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve with an ice cold glass of soy 'nog!
Lightly dusted with maple sugar, these cookies are a holiday treat you can feel good about eating since they’re made with such awesome ingredients. I used my staples from Bob’s Red Mill, they’re GF oat flour and almond flour, and was so impressed (as usual!) with the incredible texture the combination of those two gave these cookies. But really, you can’t beat baking with Bob!
Vegan, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened…I can’t think of a better way to celebrate National Gingerbread Cookie Day or the holidays in general!
What’s your favorite kind of holiday cookie?
Do you like gingerbread?
Are you doing anything fun for the holiday this week?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!
Big thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this yummy post!