Super soft and fluffy Fudgy Fig Cake filled with the sweetness of figs and the richness of chocolate swirls! This vegan, gluten-free treat is full of fruity flavor and has no added sugar. Healthy enough to have your cake and eat it too.
Well, it’s good to be back home, friends! Last week was a full week of travel for me for work (which was really fun and enlightening, BTW!) and I am feeling the exhaustion start to hit!
As much as I love travel, right now it’s definitely throwing me off. I am dealing with a lot of health issues (gastrointestinal stuff mostly!) lately so being away for even just a week made things worse and got me off the routine I had established for myself.
Earlier in the week, I was getting anxious about all the changes and how many “mistakes” I was making with my diet and exercise routine. But then I reframed my thoughts and, honestly, decided to just EFF it. One week of not so great health choices is not going to make a difference long-term. Yes, it’s uncomfortable. Yes, it adds to my anxiety and makes me feel embarrassed. But like I said above, it’s ONE week. I am back home now and can get back on track.
Speaking of my trip last week, aside from the fun I has meeting my boss in person and seeing more into the business, I tried my FIRST FRESH FIG. Can you believe I’ve only ever had dried!? Pretty nuts given it’s fig season and that I’ve made figgy baked goods before.
Now you may be asking why I brought up figs…well it’s because they are the star of today’s recipe!
With all my talk of ‘getting back on track’, you may think sharing a cake recipe seems off. But this cake is different. Sure, it tastes decadent and rich…it’s even got FUDGY in its name! However, the ingredients pretty much make it a SUPERFOOD snack or dessert.
Vegan, gluten-free, and NO ADDED SUGAR. The sweetness of the figs shine thru and totally eliminate the need for any added sweeteners. FRUIT FOR THE WIN!!
- 120 grams (or a heaping ½ cup) dried figs, chopped
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 100 grams gluten-free oat flour (1 cup)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp Pascha Fruit Sweetened Chocolate Spread (or a comparable chocolate spread) mixed with 1 tbsp warm water
- Preheat oven to 350. In a food processor, combine water and figs until pureed. Pour fig mixture into a large bowl and add remaining ingredients except chocolate spread. Stir until evenly combined. Line a cake pan with parchment paper. Pour in cake mixture. In a small bowl, mix together chocolate spread and warm water. Pour chocolate mixture over cake batter and use a knife tip to swirl throughout the batter. Bake cake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Slice and store in the fridge or freezer.
Just like with a few of my other healthy, wholesome cake recipes…
…This is a recipe where you can ‘have your cake’ AND eat it too! 😉 There’s no need to stop at one slice when it’s so full of fruity goodness, whole grains, and contains NO oils or added sugars. Just like my new-found love for FRESH figs, I know you’ll be a new fan of this Fudgy Fig Cake. The added chocolate swirls are just a bonus! In fact, now that I know figs and chocolate pair so well together, I am thinking fresh figs dipped in melted chocolate is a MUST try. Move over strawberries…Chocolate Covered Figs are where it’s at! Definitely have to try that soon. And YOU have to try this cake soon too!
Get to it! 🙂
Have you ever had a fresh fig?
Do you prefer fresh or dried fruits more?
Have you ever made a fruit sweetened cake before?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!