Summertime means it’s grilling season! Fire up the grill and escape to a mediterranean oasis with these Grilled Mediterranean Zucchini Boats. Stuffed with humus, olives, roasted tomatoes, and heart-healthy tuna, they are a taste and texture delight!
As you know, I am a seafood lover. I often say that I’ve never met a type of seafood that I don’t like. And I’m not picky. Give me a fresh fillet from the seafood market or a can of sardines! I like it all. I definitely get the recommended 2-3 servings per week.
When I the folks at Recipe Redux presented an opportunity to work with Bumble Bee for a recipe creation contest, I couldn’t resist. I’ve been a faithful Bumble Bee tuna eater for years and I’ve always loved the freshness and quality of their products.
I was sent a few cans of their solid white albacore tuna and their prime fillet solid white albacore tuna. Bumble Bee tuna is a great source of protein, high in selenium and niacin, a good source of Vitamins B6 and B10, and free from saturated fat.
I had never had the prime fillet before and I was interested to see how the taste differed from the regular variety. So I decided to use that as inspiration for my recipe!
I, for one, love tuna salad. But not your traditional, garden variety with mayonaise…but mixed with unique things like mashed avocado, guacamole, greek yogurt, olive oil and vinegar, or HUMUS. Humus is my favorite thing to mix with tuna and with that in mind I came up with the perfect summer entree.
These Grilled Mediterranean Zucchini Boats combine all your favorite mediterranean foods and flavors. Roasted red pepper humus, olives, roasted tomatoes, feta cheese, and even a dollop of basil pesto on top!
You can’t beat the mix of textures and flavors.
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced in half length wise with seeds scooped out
- 2 4 oz cans of Bumble Bee® Prime Fillet® Solid White Albacore in Water
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper humus
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp basil pesto
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat grill to medium hear. Trim ends of squash; halve lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Brush inside of squash with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill, cut side down, 4-5 min, uncovered, until edges are slightly charred and caramelized. Transfer to clean work surface. (Alternatively, you can broil the zucchini for 10 minutes in the oven)
- While zucchini is cooking, mix tuna, humus, olives, and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Fill each squash with an equal amount of tuna mixture, drizzle with one tbsp of pesto, and sprinkle with feta cheese. Grill, uncovered, 10 min or until filling begins to bubble. (Or, broil for 3-5 minutes)
These are quick and easy to assemble so they make for a nutritious, weekday meal that can be made in minutes. All the ingredients compliment each other extraordinarily well and they totally mask the fishy flavor of tuna. So if you’re not a fish fan, these are a great way to get in your recommended weekly serving!
Seafood is truly one of the single most important foods you can consume for good health. Just like this recipe, canned seafood is affordable, widely available, easy to prepare, and delicious! There should be nothing stopping you from getting in a few servings of fish each week.
Are you a seafood lover?
What’s your favorite type of fish?
Have you ever ‘stuffed’ a vegetable before?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Bumble Bee Seafoods and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Linking up with: #RecipeFridays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood, Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays, Lena’s Tasty Tuesdays,Foodie Friday, Savoring Saturdays, Full Plate Thursday, Foodie Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Weekend Bites!