It’s peach season once again! Gather around the table for a healthy breakfast or snack with these Gluten-Free Vegan Peach Scones. They’re full of fresh peach flavor and are a healthy spin on a traditional baked good.
Ahhhh peach season. A truly cherished time in my household. Not only is it my dad’s favorite fruit and the star of his favorite dessert (peach cobbler), but my mom and I are big fans as well! There’s something so special about biting into a fresh, ripe, juicy peach. Or in my case an under ripe one. I like them slightly hard!
I’ve been doing a lot of peach eating lately and have been thinking about ways I could incorporate them into some recipes. When I saw this month’s Recipe Redux theme, inspiration struck!
August 2015 – Theme
Back to the Dinner Table
After the hustle and bustle of the holiday/vacation season, August is the time many families get ‘back to routine.’ Show us your favorite recipe to help families get ‘back to the dinner table.’ It might be a favorite family recipe from your childhood that you’ve ReDuxed; or maybe it’s your family’s current favorite. Let’s all gather back at the table!
Technically this isn’t a dinner recipe, but I wanted to take one of my family’s favorite foods and turn it into something we could all enjoy together. During the week, we’re all hustling and bustling from place to place and sometimes don’t have time to share a meal together. But on the weekends, even breakfast is eaten together as a family! I decided to challenge myself to my first scone making endeavor and create a delicious breakfast treat with lots of fresh peach flavor.
Trying to accommodate vegans and gluten-free eaters on my FIRST scone attempt may seem a little ambitious. But with a few trials and tests, I was able to put together a recipe that pleased all my peach loving family members!
- 1¼ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2 small very ripe peaches, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut oil, chilled
- 1 serving vegan egg replacer (prepared according to directions...I used NEAT Egg)
- 3 tbsp maple sugar or coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400. Combine dry ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until evenly mixed. Slice chilled coconut oil into the food processor and pulse with the dry ingredient until the mixture is crumbly. In a separate bowl, prepare egg replacement. Add milk and maple syrup, stir. Add wet ingredients to food processor and blend until evenly combined. Add chopped peaches and blend until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Scoop batter onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread it into a circle about 1-1.5 inches high. With a sharp knife, cut the batter in half and then into sixths. (It's okay if the pieces are still sort of together. You'll be able to cut them apart once the scones are done baking.)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven, cut scones along the lines you made, and let them cool on a wire rack.
These scones are a bit untraditional in that they aren’t dry and hard. Instead they are doughy and soft! We liked them slightly warmed up in the microwave and spread with a bit of butter.
The perfect weekend breakfast, after school snack, or even healthy dessert! Homemade scones are definitely a new favorite of mine and I can’t wait to experiment with some other flavors.
These scones certainly brought my family ‘back to the table’ and if you make them, the smell alone while they’re baking will draw your family in from all corners of the house. Nothing like the smell of fresh summer peaches, am I right?
Are you team peach or team nectarine?
Are you a scone fan?
What’s a food that’s a favorite in your family?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!
Linking up with: Allergy Free Wednesdays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood,Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays,Tasty Tuesdays,Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays, Lena’s Tasty Tuesdays!