I had planned on going for a bike ride to the park yesterday morning to go for a run, but ended up in a very different situation. I had just started my run, when I heard a scream. I looked around and saw a girl, probably a little older than me, chasing after a little yorkie (like Ella!) that had just gotten away from her. I ran over to her to see if she needed any help and she asked if I could help her get her dog who had just pulled away from her. We spent the next forty minutes chasing her little dog around the park trying to catch her and get her to come to us. We did eventually grab her after the owner literally dove on the leash. The thing that really surprised me about the whole situation, is how many people just stood and watched without trying to help or even stop the dog as it ran right past. It got me thinking about what would happen if something really bad happened (not saying loosing a dog isn’t a bad thing….I would be crushed), like an incident involving another person! Would anyone intervene? The woman later thanked me for “being in the right place at the right time”, but really I didn’t even consider not stopping. I saw a someone in trouble and immediately stopped, I figured most people would. If you saw someone in need of help, what would you do?
On to a lighter subject……FOOD!
On Friday I spent my afternoon making a lentil burgers and some homemade bread! I have tried to make homemade bread before, with little success. I used the recipe off the back of the King Arthur whole wheat flour bag and got a rock hard loaf! LOL. So friday was my second attempt at bread making and I have to say it was quite the success!
Whenever I make lentil burgers, we eat them with sandwich thins. The burgers are so thick so we need a thin bread to eat them with. Arnold’s sandwich thins don’t have the best ingredients however, so when I saw Heather over at Hangry Pants making homemade ones…..I knew I had to try them myself. I followed the recipe on her sight exactly except i subbed honey for black strap molasses and two egg whites for a “flax egg”.
Homemade Sandwich Thins (adapted from Hangry Pants)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/8 C raw honey
- 1/8 C maple syrup
- 1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
- 4 C whole wheat flour
- 2 T vital wheat gluten
- 1 t salt
- 2 egg whites
- 3 T water
- 1 T safflower oil
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the 1 1/4 C water, yeast, honey, and maple syrup . Let sit for 10 minutes. until it gets foamy.
- Mix the flour, what gluten and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the oil and egg to the yeast mix in the stand mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients in batches, incorporating with a wooden spoon after each batch.
- Using the bread hook attachment (I don’t have a mixer so I just used my hands and it worked fine!), knead the bread for about five minutes until it forms a ball. Scrape down the sides and bottom several times. If you’re using your hands it will probably take about 10 minutes to form a ball.
- Spray the sides of the bowl with cooking spray and cover. Let stand for an hour or more.
- Divide dough into 16 equal balls. I weighed the entire ball of dough to figure out the weight of each bun, but feel free to eyeball it.
- Roll each portion of dough in your hands to form a ball, and then flatten it’s about 6 inches wide.
- Place it on a baking sheet that is either sprayed or covered with parchment paper.
- Poke holes on the top of the bun with a fork.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes on 350 degrees (my oven cooks fast, so you might need more time).
- Let cool completely before slicing.
They turned out awesome! And I have lots of left overs :).
Here are some other eats from the past few days:
Hope everyone has had a great weekend!
PS. Ella Got a Haircut!!!!
Also, good luck to my dad, who is playing for his second World Series Title this week in Arizona!
Remember that you can get 50% off anything in my store until October 31 with the code healthy50pct.