Perfectly spiced lentil patties that are baked instead of deep-fried! The healthy, vegan alternative to traditional falafel, yet still full of plant-based protein and FLAVOR. A traditional middle-eastern favorite made modern and more delicious.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’ve been ALL about the savory foods lately. Sure, I still eat mostly sweet stuff for breakfast and still have my few bars a day…but for some reason, when it comes to snacks and meals, all I’ve wanted it savory, salty, and full of spices!
That’s made for some interesting food combinations (hello chocolate tamarind cupcakes…trust me though, you’ll love them!) and a huge desire to share a bunch of savory things with you guys as well! I guess I am trying to get everyone on the savory food bandwagon. 😉
Today we’re taking a taste bud trip to the Middle East to chow down on my Vegan Lentil Falafel!
Usually falafel is made from ground chickpeas and deep-fried, but my version is lighter and healthier! Instead of dousing them in oil not made for high heat cooking, I baked my patties, flavored them with tons of spices from that culinary region, and used NO OIL.
To good to be true? See for yourself!
Healthy Helper Blog…gluten-free and 100% plant-based! A fun twist on a traditional Middle Eastern staple! [grain-free, recipe, healthy food, lentils, falafel, vegetarian, low-fat, lunch, dinner, legumes, healthy recipe, clean eating]” width=”564″ height=”845″>
- 1 cup dry split red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- ½ sweet white onion, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tiger nut flour (or whole spelt/whole wheat/all-purpose/coconut/chickpea flour)
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Bring water to a boil in pot. Add lentils and simmer until they are cooked through and water is absorbed. Drain lentils and squeeze out any excess water that they may be holding.
- In a food processor, blend lentils, carrot, onion, garlic, parsley, and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine lentil mixture with flour, flax, and spices. Stir until well combined.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Divide lentil mixture into 8 even sized patties.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip patties, and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
These soft, flavorful patties are gluten-free, full of plant based protein, and super easy to make. All you need is a blender or food processor and they come together in minutes. A great week night meal and perfect for topping with homemade tzatziki sauce.
I am hesitant to pick a favorite cuisine (mostly because of my love of sushi!), Middle Eastern food ranks at the top of my list. I just love all the spices and herbs they use. So many unique flavor and taste sensations! It’s so fun to cook with staples like olives, mint, parsley, dates, and chickpeas. And let’s not get started on my obsession with humus, pitas, pistachios, and flatbreads!
Speaking of flatbreads, be sure to check back on Wednesday because I have another savory recipe coming atcha! In fact, it pairs perfectly with these falafel. Hey! You’ll have a whole meal by the time the week is through. 🙂
What’s your favorite savory food?
Do you think you’d be able to choose a favorite cuisine?
Are you a falafel fan?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!
Linking up with: Allergy Free Wednesdays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood,Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays,Tasty Tuesdays,Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays,Full Plate Thursday, JillConyers!