You’ll experience a taste and flavor explosion upon first bite of this incredible Forbidden Black Rice Mango Salad. Sweet, savory, crunchy, and chewy…this vegan and gluten-free side dish has everything you crave. Filling, nutrient dense, and so tasty!
One of my all time favorite restaurants in Buffalo is a little hole in the wall place that has finally gained so notoriety after years of putting out AMAZING dishes. It’s even recently gotten a makeover and won a bunch of foodie awards! It’s so nice to see a place that I love being recognized for its epic deliciousness.
This restaurant is called Sun. I’ve mentioned it on the blog a few times before, but I’ll give you some more details about what makes it so unique. They specialize in three types of cuisine: Vietnamese, Burmese, Chinese, and Thai. They have their own black rice bar, with special dishes made with the antioxidant-rich black rice. And they are one of the few restaurants that I’ve ever seen KABOCHA served in. So you know they’ve won my heart by that fact alone.
One of my all time favorite dishes there (aside from their black rice sushi, tuna-melon pieces, and pumpkin curry served IN A KABOCHA!) is their signature Black Rice Mango Salad. The flavors and texture in this dish are out of this world. Sweet and savory, creamy and crunchy…all at the same time.
I’ve been wanting to recreate this recipe for forever, so when I got some Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil in the mail I knew it was the perfect time to attempt it. Lee Kum Kee makes a wide range of great-tasting authentic Asian-style sauces and condiments, which are delicious for helping recreate your favorite Asian-style restaurant dishes. They make it easy for people to enjoy authentic, restaurant-quality Asian tastes and flavors at home. I personally LOVE their sauces and really respect that they’re dedicated to promoting Chinese culinary culture throughout the U.S. and around the world. Did you know I took Mandarin Chinese for 6 years in middle and high school!? I even studied abroad in China for a few weeks! I wonder how many of you will go digging around in the archives for my recap posts… 😉
Anyways, back to this dish! Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil is SO key in this recipe. Sure, all the ingredients are flavorful on their own, but Lee Kum Kee PURE Sesame Oil takes them to a whole new level of greatness. Their Pure Sesame Oil is made from finely roasted sesame seeds and is carefully processed to retain the distinctive taste of sesame seeds. Its flavor is so bold and rich that you only need a little for it to really shine in a dish.
Just like in this rice salad…
Forbidden Black Rice Mango Salad
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 4 side servings
- Category: Sides
- 1 cup uncooked black rice
- 1 small ripe mango (or 1 can of mango), cubed
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/2 of a red pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp red chili paste
- 2 tsp Bragg’s liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tsp honey (or agave nectar as a vegan alternative)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- toasted peanuts and cashews
- cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice, for topping
- Cook rice according to directions. In a saute pan, heat sesame oil over low heat. Add sesame seeds, garlic, spices, vinegar, aminos, honey, and chili paste. Saute until garlic is cooked through. Add rice and saute until garlic and sauce is evenly distributed throughout it. Place rice in a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While rice is cooling, toast peanuts and cashews in the skillet until slightly browned.
- Remove rice from refrigerator. Add avocado, mango, red onion, and red pepper to the bowl. Stir to evenly combine. Divide the salad among four (or two) plates. Top with cilantro leaves, a squeeze of lime juice, and a sprinkle with toasted nuts and sesame seeds.
So how’d I do with my REMAKE of my favorite restaurant dish? Well, to be honest, this salad comes pretty darn close to the original! It tastes a little different as I don’t know the secret formulation of sauces and spices they use. But this salad has a flavor profile all its own thanks to the Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil….and it’s addicting!
With Thanksgiving just two weeks away and the holiday season around the corner, this dish is great for a hearty side to bring to your next holiday celebration! The textures and tastes throughout are to die for. The creamy avocado chunks, the crunchy nuts, the crisp mango, chewy rice, and the rich sesame make for an amazing experience as you eat this. As someone who enjoys a lot of different textures and flavors mixed together, this was like heaven in my mouth. Not only is this dish delicious, however, it’s also BURSTING with nutrition! Black rice is the ultimate superfood. If you haven’t ever had it before, get on that! Here are just some of its awesome benefits…
- low in fat, rich in fiber, full of protein
- black rice bran is rich in phytochemicals
- healthy source of iron and vitamin E
- black rice contains anthocyanins, the purple and dark red pigments that color and add valuable nutrients to blueberries, grapes, blackberries, dark cherries, raspberries and acai berries…these antioxidants are associated with health benefits, such as memory improvement and decreased risk of heart disease and cancer
- anti-inflammatory properties
Plus, it tastes really good! So nutty compared with white rice or regular brown.
Let me know if you try this KILLER rice salad out! I am so excited about how good it turned out. 🙂
Are you a rice fan? What’s your favorite kind?
Have you ever recreated a recipe from a restaurant?
What’s your favorite way to use sesame oil?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!