These savory, herb-topped rolls are perfect for serving alongside your favorite main dish! Light and fluffy, Garlic & Onion Cassava Rolls will be your new favorite alternative to traditional, boring dinner rolls. Gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo-friendly, too!
Who doesn’t love a warm piece of bread before or alongside a meal? It’s a staple at restaurants, a popular addition to holiday menus, and a tasty compliment to the main dish and veggie-based sides.
I for one am a bread LOVER. I LOVE BREAD *said in the Oprah WW commercial voice* ?
Homemade is obviously the GOAT ?, but there’s a lot of store-bought ones that I enjoy as well.
When I was little, bread was mostly reserved for lunchbox sandwiches or quick meals while traveling on the go. But every once in a while my mom would make a meal and serve some sort of bread or dinner roll on the side. Cornbread in the summer and herb-crusted grain rolls in the colder months.
There’s nothing like biting into a freshly baked roll spread generously with softened butter from the local farmer’s market.
Unfortunately for celiacs, people following a specific diets (like paleo or keto), or those trying to watch their grain consumption, a freshly baked bread roll is not always an option.
So I decided to try my hand at recreating my favorite rolls using a new to me ingredient….Cassava Flour.
Ever heard of it? Here’s the lowdown on cassava…
- the starchy tuberous root of a tropical tree, used as food in most tropical countries
- it’s commonly called cassava, manioc, yuca, or mandioca
- good source of fiber, thiamine, phosphorous, calcium, and riboflavin
And when it’s made into flour, it’s what makes these rolls so darn good….while also being grain- and gluten-free!
Garlic & Onion Cassava Rolls [gluten-free + paleo]
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 5 rolls 1x
- Category: Savory Snacks
- For dough:
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- For topping:
- Unsweetened almond milk, for brushing on top of the rolls
- Dried garlic and onion flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all ingredients into a food processor until a thick dough forms (it will be sticky).
- With extra flour on your hands, separate dough into 5 equal parts and shape into balls.
- Place balls on a lined baking sheet and press down lightly. Brush tops of the balls with almond milk. Sprinkle with dried garlic and onion.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until rolls are firm and herbs are lightly toasted on top.
Sprinkled perfectly with garlic and onion, these rolls are reminiscent of the garlic & onion bagels you can find at local bakeshops. They’re also dairy-free and delicious when spread with a vegan cream cheese! I like them best warmed in the microwave but they are also great sliced and lightly toasted. The perfect accompaniment to any savory main dish your serve your family.
Do you like having bread with your meals?
What’s your favorite kind of bread?
Have you ever baked with cassava flour before?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more! Want to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!Vacation budget a little tight? Get a discount on your AirBnB booking!