Summertime means it’s grilling season! Fire up the grill and escape to a mediterranean oasis with these Grilled Mediterranean Zucchini Boats. Stuffed with hummus, olives, roasted tomatoes, and cedar plank salmon….they are a taste and texture delight!
By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest put on by Cedar Bay Grilling Company.
As you know, I am a seafood lover. I often say that I’ve never met a type of seafood that I don’t like. And I’m not picky. Give me a fresh fillet from the seafood market or a can of sardines! I like it all. I definitely get the recommended 2-3 servings per week.
I was recently introduced to Cedar Bay Grilling Company salmon and FELL IN LOVE. It’s literally the BEST salmon I’ve ever had. I don’t know if it comes from cooking it on the cedar planks the fillets are on or the delicious spice/herb mixtures that they’re marinated on…but the salmon is BOMB.
In case you didn’t know, salmon is a great source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids EHA and DHA, B vitamins, potassium, selenium, and may reduce risk of heart disease.
I have only had cedar plank salmon a few times before and I was excited to see if it was as good as I remembered! So I grilled up the Orange Ginger and Sugar & Spice varieties I was sent and used them as the inspiration for this Mediterranean inspired recipe.
I, for one, LOVE seafood. But salmon will always hold a special place in my heart since my parents use to make it all the time when I was a kid. With that said, you can only serve salmon with brown rice and broccoli so many times. I am ALWAYS looking for new ways to jazz things up! Cedar Bay Grilling makes it easy of course with their flavorful seasonings, but I decided to take thing to the next level.
These Grilled Mediterranean Zucchini Boats combine all your favorite mediterranean foods and flavors. Roasted red pepper hummus, olives, roasted tomatoes, feta cheese, and even a dollop of basil pesto on top!
Grilled Mediterranean Zucchini Boats
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 boats 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced in half lengthwise with seeds scooped out
- 1 Cedar Bay cedar plank salmon, grilled and chopped up
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper hummus
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp basil pesto
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- olive oil, for brushing
- salt and pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Trim ends of squash; halve lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Brush inside of squash with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill, cut side down, 4-5 min, uncovered, until edges are slightly charred and caramelized. Transfer to clean work surface. (Alternatively, you can broil the zucchini for 10 minutes in the oven if you don’t want to use a grill)
- While zucchini is cooking, mix salmon, hummus, olives, and tomatoes in a bowl.
- Fill each squash with an equal amount of salmon mixture, drizzle with one tbsp of pesto, and sprinkle with feta cheese. Grill, uncovered, 10 min or until filling begins to bubble. (Or, broil for 3-5 minutes)
Gluten-free, grain-free, and you can’t beat the mix of textures and flavors.
These are quick and easy to assemble so they make for a nutritious, weekday meal that can be made in minutes. All the ingredients compliment each other extraordinarily well and enhance the flavor of the already flavorful salmon. Not fishy taste at all! So even if you’re not a fish fan, these are a great way to get in your recommended weekly serving!
Seafood is truly one of the single most important foods you can consume for good health. Just like this recipe, most seafood is reasonably affordable, widely available, easy to prepare, and delicious! There should be nothing stopping you from getting in a few servings of fish each week.
Cedar Bay Grilling Salmon can be purchased at Kroger, Publix, Hannaford, Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Ralph’s, Giant, Giant eagle, Stop n Shop and Roche Bros!
Are you a seafood lover?
What’s your favorite type of fish?
Have you ever ‘stuffed’ a vegetable before?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!