Healthy Gingerbread Bars made with whole grains, natural sugar, and filled with heart-healthy walnuts! The perfect snack with all the seasonal flavor you love around the holidays. Gluten-free, high protein, and absolutely delicious!
Thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this tasty recipe.
I was helping my mom look for one of her favorite cookbooks recently and while rummaging through my parents storage boxes in their basement, I stumbled across a little handwritten recipe book that my mom started when I was little.
It was such a treat to find as I have a ton of great memories of my mom making something new for me to try and then writing the “winners” down in the book with little notes about my reactions. So many childhood favorite grace the pages of that tattered blue and white recipe book. All my mom’s own creations that she made with love for my family as I was growing up.
Crispy Corn Flake Baked Chicken Fingers
Turkey and Vegetable Stew
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Chocolate Pudding Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
White Clam Sauce Pasta
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Rice
Honey Nut Granola
and SO MANY MORE!!
As I was turning through the pages, a great idea to came to my mind! I thought it would be fun (for you and me!) to slowly go through the book and share the recipes on the blog. With a few “Healthy Helper” twists of course!
First up? My mom’s Healthy Gingerbread Bars with Walnuts! My ALL TIME favorite fall snack when I was little. But really, I’d ask my mom to make these ANY time of year because they are just that good.
I always LOVED baking with my mom as a kid and, just like I do now, we always stocked our kitchen with the best of the best Bob’s Red Mill ingredients. My mom was the one who started my love of using high quality, healthy ingredients to make snacks and treats, so it only makes sense that I’ve stuck with Bob’s products to this very day.
Although I made a few changes to my mom’s original recipe, the things that have remained the same are the use of FIVE amazing Bob’s Red Mill products:
(All of which are staples in my pantry!)
Full of whole grain goodness, tons of crunchy walnuts, and just the right amount of sweetness to make all the spices super flavorful, these bars make the perfect snack or even quick n’ easy breakfast for your whole family! They’d definitely make a fun Christmas morning breakfast since they TASTE like dessert.
Healthy Gingerbread Bars with Walnuts
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 30 bars
- Category: Sweet Snacks
- 6 tbsp earth balance butter or unsalted margarine
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Date Sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup black strap molasses
- 1 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill buckwheat flour
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 tsp Bob’s Red Mill baking powder
- 3/4 tsp Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
- 1/4 cup dry skim milk powder
- 3/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 1/2 X 8 in baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine at medium speed until creamy. Add sugar and beat at high speed until light, 1-2 minutes. Add egg whites and continue to mix. Add molasses and beat until no lumps remain. In a separate bowl, sift together flours, dry skim milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add sifted ingredients into margarine mixture and stir together thoroughly. Fold in nuts. The dough will be sticky.
- Place dough in the center of the prepped pan. Using a spatula, spread dough evenly in pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes. Cut into 30 bars (or however many you’d like!).
I love these bars warm…fresh out of the oven with a light smear of buttery spread. Mmmmmm. Brings be right back to after school snacks as a kid or Saturday baking extravaganzas with my mom. Isn’t it amazing how food can hold such dear memories?
I hope you’ll give these Gingerbread Bars a try….even if it’s for no other reason than the fact that we are entering the season for all things gingerbread flavored! “Gingerbread season” doesn’t last very long, so we all need to soak up all the gingerbread goodies we can while it’s still seasonably appropriate. Starting with these Healthy Gingerbread Bars, of course!
Tell me a food or recipe that brings back good memories for you!
Do you like gingerbread flavored baked goods?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!