Your favorite fall dessert in muffin form! These Paleo Apple Crisp Muffins are the perfect snack for celebrating apple season with. Sweet, subtly spiced, and covered with that classic crumb topping you’ve come to know and love! Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and sure to please the whole family!
Ahhhhh, the smell of fresh apples is in the air, friends! Yes, I am a self-proclaimed SUMMER LOVER, but the one thing I do actually like about fall is the opportunity to go apple picking. In fact, I go several times over the course of the season.
I think apples are my most loved fruit. I have at least 2 everyday and there are so many different varieties I enjoy! Some faves include…
Macintosh (ONLY fresh picked ones though….if they’ve been sitting, they get too soft and mealy!!)
But really, I’m not too picky!! As long as an apple is sweet, juicy, and CRUNCHY, I’m a fan! And there’s nothing more fun than trekking out to the country with my family and friends to pick some apples right out of the trees! Climbing the ladders, biting into our freshly picked bounty, and enjoying fresh apple cider afterwards is just the best. The place we go happens to have Apple Cider DONUTS too…so that’s just a bonus!
We’re not talking about donuts today, however. We’re talking about something even more delicious. Something even more festive for fall. A staple of apple season if you will. Apple Crisp.
But not just any traditional apple crisp recipe….Apple Crisp MUFFINS. And they just happen to be paleo, vegan, gluten & grain-free!
Inspired by my favorite Bob’s Red Mill baking ingredients, I wanted to make a fall treat that was safe for everyone and ANYone to eat during this tasty time of year.
I know it can be tough for those with different allergies to find treats that suit their diet, so why not use healthy, wholesome ingredients that work for any lifestyle?
For this recipe, I opted for Bob’s Extra Fine Almond Flour, Date Sugar, Coconut Flour, and Baking Soda! Even before testing the recipe, I had a pretty good feeling it would turn out amazing based on the high quality, nutrient dense ingredients that Bob’s produces. They are truly my GO-TO source for ingredients.
So why muffins you ask? Well, let’s be honest…apple crisp isn’t the easiest of treats to eat on the go. It’s messy, it’s crumbly, and it doesn’t make for the most graceful consumption. Muffins in comparison are easily handheld and packable in lunch boxes for people young and old!
I know if I packed a lunch regularly, I’d LOVE opening it up and finding one of these amazing muffins inside!
Paleo Apple Crisp Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6 big muffins
- Category: Sweet Snacks
- For muffins:
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Meal Extra Fine Almond Meal
- 1/4 teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 flax egg (or 1 whole egg)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 small Macintosh/Gala/Honeycrisp apple, finely chopped
- For crisp topping:
- 1 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Date Sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with 6 aluminum liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix almond meal, baking soda and salt. In another bowl whisk together maple syrup, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, and egg.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold ½ of the apples into the batter.
- Divide batter among muffin cups. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine ingredients for crisp topping (including the remainder of the apples). Gently sprinkle each muffin top with a tablespoon of crisp topping mixture.
- Place muffin pan in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes until tops are golden brown (make sure they do not burn though).
- Let cool completely on rack before removing and eating (they will continue to cook while cooling).
- Note: You WILL have extra of the crisp topping. My advice? Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper after the muffins are done and put it in the oven for 10-15 minutes or so to make your own GRAIN FREE PALEO Apple Crisp Granola!
Soft, fluffy, and so rich tasting! The light, sweet crumble topping will have you wanting more than one muffin at once!
You’ll think you’re biting into a classic, calorie-laden apple crisp upon trying this recipe. But nope! These Paleo Apple Crisp Muffins are perfectly healthy, naturally sweetened, and provide loads of nutrients from all the whole food Bob’s Red Mill ingredients.
Fall really doesn’t get any better when you have recipes like this to try! Plus, now you have more excuses to go apples picking. 🙂
What do you like about the fall season?
What’s your favorite kind of apple?
Are you a fan of Apple Crisp?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperGoogle+: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxWant to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!
Thanks to my friends at Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this tasty post!