Perfectly spiced and sweet, these Pear Ginger Donuts are a healthy alternative to you favorite breakfast treat! Vegan, gluten-free, and delicately cake-like. You’ll love these donuts with your morning coffee or for an afternoon pick me up!
There always seem to be an ‘it’ food that emerges every year. It’s been kale in the past. Cauliflower had its moment in the spotlight. But for me, my food of 2016 seems to be more of spice instead!
Can you guess it? It’s been featured in a number of recipes the past few weeks (most notably in these cookies and this granola) and ever since I wrote about it in my post about healthy foods that look like the body parts they benefit, I’ve been obsessed.
I just can’t get enough of this spicy, zesty food! That’s right. It’s ginger!
Whether I’m making oatmeal, a new baked treat, or even one of my lunch salads, I’ve been adding a sprinkle of ground or fresh ginger EVERYWHERE!
It adds such a nice burst of heat and flavor and pairs well with all sorts of ingredients. Not too mention is majorly good for you!
I have a history of getting random, painful stomach-aches but ever since I’ve been including more ginger in my diet, they have significantly decreased. I don’t know if I can attribute the change all to my ginger consumption, but ginger is known to help stomach woes and nausea.
I was interested in finding out a little more about this miracle root and did some research to find out a few other of its amazing benefits.
A few that jumped out at me…
- ginger can reduce muscle pain and soreness
- ginger can lower blood sugar and risks for heart disease
- ginger can help ease menstrual pain (woohoo! gotta love natural remedies for ‘time of the month’ discomfort)
- the main chemical in fresh ginger can help fight infections
In regards to that last one, does anyones else take a spoonfuls of honey, ginger, and garlic when they’re sick? I used to think it was an old wives tale when I first heard it, but after trying it a few times, I swear it helps! Maybe it’s just a placebo? 😉
So after all this wonderful information, are you ready for a recipe?!
If ginger is my ‘food of 2016’, donuts are my ‘baked good of 2016’! I’ve shared several recipes for protein donuts, but unfortunately they haven’t been very vegan friendly. Well that changes today! I’m sharing my first ever vegan donut recipe!
Pear Ginger Donuts to be exact. 🙂
Pear Ginger Donuts
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 donuts 1x
- Category: Breakfast Foods
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1 tbsp coconut milk powder
- ½ of a pear, finely chopped (105 grams)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract or ¼ tsp vanilla bean powder
- ½ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 5–10 drops vanilla stevia, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla bean powder, and spices in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine pear puree and cashew milk. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Spray your donut pan well with cooking spray and divide the batter into 6 individual doughnuts. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until slightly browned firm on top. Flip donut pan on to a wire rack and tap on the bottom of each donut well until the donut pops out. Cool completely before serving!
Vegan, gluten-free, and the softest texture ever! They are almost melt in your mouth delicate and super fruity tasting.
I never thought of pairing pears and ginger before but it seemed like a good choice when I had some overripe Bartletts sitting on the counter just begging to be baked into something yummy.
So there ya have it! Healthy, plant-based donuts that are perfect for munching with your morning joe or for a sweet snack later in the day. Anybody who says donuts can’t be healthy hasn’t tried my donut recipes yet! 😉
What food are you loving in 2016?
Are you a fan of ginger?
What’s your favorite spice or herb to cook with?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxCheck out my travel photography on Pixels and Etsy! Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more! Want to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!Vacation budget a little tight? Get a discount on your AirBnB booking!